Monday, July 2, 2012

Know When to Fold Em'

I've currently been struggling with a couple friends on this topic of knowing when to let go of a relationship. It's come to my attention that even the smartest people don't make the best decisions when it comes to relationships. They constantly get hurt and then when the other person apologizes they forgive them.
For example, I have a friend who has been on and off with this girl for years. Whenever they get into a fight she tells him it's over because he annoys her. She finds it so much easier to break up with him in the middle of the argument then to work out the problem. If you find it easy to break up with someone during an argument, then you shouldn't be with them. If they keep threatening to breakup with you just because things you do aren't perfect then you shouldn't be with them. Relationships are about compromise, talking things out and listening to the other person. Meet in the middle. If you aren't able to do that then maybe the relationship should end.
Another example of when you should end your relationship is when you are constantly getting hurt. If the person you are with hurts you and is a negative impact in your life then you shouldn't be with them. When you're in a relationship, you should want to be with someone who makes your life positive. No one deserves to go through the same heartbreak week after week, or month after month,  or even year after year. They said that you should be with someone who makes you want to be a better person, a better.
I had a talk with one of my new guy friends a couple months ago about. He was telling me about his recent relationship and the reason why they broke up. She was controlling and he was tired of. He realized that he wasn't happy in the relationship. She was a negative impact in his life and it was just draining him physically and emotionally. So there I was sitting on the couch with his head on my lap listening to him and all I could think was I am so glad he was smart enough to get out when he did.
I don't know about most people but when my friends are in a relationship they shouldn't be in, I get worried. I don't think of my friends as friends, I think of them as family I choose. I am proud of my friend for leaving that relationship when he did because he is such a beautiful person and deserves to be happy and to be with someone who makes him feel happy.
If you are having a hard time in your relationship or can't decide if someone is worth your time, then take a step back. Look at the situation from the outside and think about what you would tell a friend if they were in the same position.
As Kenny Rogers said "Know when to hold em', know when to fold em', know when to walk away and know when to run."
Be Beautiful For You!

No comments:

Post a Comment