Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Love is Not Overrated by Patrick Smith

So a few years ago I went to Washington Business Week at Western Washington University; Business Week is a business camp for high school students. While I was there I made some pretty awesome friends and met a lot of people. One of them was a camp counselor sort of person and during Business Week there was a talent show and one counselor, Patrick, wrote and recited this poem entitled Love...is Not Overrated; I thought I'd share it with you.

Love, such a simplistic word, yet is too complex to be described...
something meaning a whole lot, a little, just enough, fulfilled, deprived.
Many have it and don’t know it; many have it and do...
many want to hide it; many want to hand it to you.

But it is not something to take for granted, see...
its not just I love you, and you love me.
It’s a whole-nother world more that that...
more than, do you trust me?? I have your back.

It’s about commitment, loyalty, integrity, respect...
knowing if someone is "out", to put them "in" check.
Yea, it’s just a word, but to me, it’s a way of living...
every single day, without and ounce to loose, my heart is what I’m giving.

I’m going to tell you you're beautiful, and it’s not just the outer shell...
actions speak louder than words, so I'm going to be loud as hell.
Ha-ha damn, too much pain in life, to be confined in a "box", enclosed...
that’s why I think outside of "it", and in yours I want to be enrolled.

We can be the moon baby, out of this world...
holding hands, singing songs, dancing wild, shii, you my girl.
But there’s always gon’ be the haters, its nothing but fuel to my fire...
because you're my torch girl, and I know its you that they desire.

What they don’t know, is we're inseparable, can’t be pulled apart...
I’m with you till the end, because it’s way past the start.
There are no other words to explain it, it’s not BASIC, but basically I love you...
when I look into your eyes, I see the sky, because I would never put anyone above you.

Whenever you're feeling down, i’m here to bring you up...
If you're sick, ill be there to bring you the chicken noodle soup cup.
You’re feeling mad, i’m going to crack that joke to make you smile...
need something real bad, I’m gon’ walk that extra mile.

Want to talk?? Call you up, nothing but silence; don’t even need to hear you...
Want to be near me?? No, I need to be near you.
No arguments ever, not needed so no rebuttal...
Feeling woozy baby, believe me, I’m here to cuddle.

So just say the word, and i’m there like always...
deep conversations go far like planets, and open like hallways.

You’re my everything; you're my down and out boo...
It didn’t take robin thicke to make me realize, id be "lost without you".
Because I already was, until that day we made eye contact...
I knew I would forever stay true, instantaneous love extract.

I'll never lie, never cheat, that’s the truth, my word...
got a sickness for loving you that no medication can cure.
Feeling weak?? I'll pick you up, massage you, caress you, be there when you need it...
cause literally, not having you in my universe, my world would be depleted.

So I'm gon' make sure every moment is worth it, what ever you want ill purchase...
just so you know how much you mean to me, you're heart, ill never hurt it.
Making you laugh, being you're other half, running you’re baths...
paving the route you want to take to make sure you're on the right path.

I want to write so much more, but if I did, id never stop, metaphors id keep applying...
just know that i'm here whenever! my heart is unrest less and undying.
So with that said, and most of my feelings are shared and traded...
I hope you understand now, how love....is not overrated.

Be Beautiful For You! 

No comments:

Post a Comment