Friday, January 27, 2012

Friday: Diet Cheating; His Family; Understanding Parents

It's Friday! It's been an interesting week for me. I got in a car accident on my way to school Monday morning and ended up not going. I had lunch with my friend Calvin on Tuesday and he preformed some new card tricks for me. I really enjoyed his company because I really missed him. Most of the week I spent trying to feel better and catching up with assignments. Yet I still had time to give advice this week. So here are some questions and my advice from this week.

Anonymous Asked:
I cheated on my diet and I feel horrible.
I've been eating super healthy food  and working out nearly everyday since the new year started but yesterday I ran out of my healthy foods. So today I pretty much ate low fat muffins, frozen yogurt and a bunch of carbs. Now I feel like I'm off track. How do I get myself back on track? I know it doesn't seem like a lot but I honestly feel horrible.

Dear Anonymous
The other night I was watching something about how celebs are keeping shape this year and one of them, I don't remember who, said that they gave themselves a "day-off" from the dieting once a week. And that's okay to do, just as long as you can go back to your normal routine of eating healthy and exercising. So don't feel bad about that one day.
But you know what you have to think about what you eat, there are good carbs and bad carbs. Frozen yogurt is way better than ice cream. And try to tame the proportions of food.
No need to feel horrible. We all have those days. :)

Anonymous Asked
Should I care that my man's family think negative about me?
I know my man's family thinks negative about me and probably thinks I'm always bitching at my man. I would love for them to see the real me cause I am serious about my boyfriend so I should try and change how they feel? Or no, should I just leave it alone and not care? My man says who cares what they think but I do care when it comes his family. So what should I do? I feel they might think I'm blah or uncomfortable. There really is so much more to me than what they think. I'm a great person and silly I get embarrassed to show the fun side of me to his family, what should I do? 

Dear Anonymous
Part of you should care. I mean maybe one day you'll be part of that family. You should want to get along with them or else Family events with them you'll dread when you should want to enjoy.
Try your best to show him how awesome you are. Don't be embarrassed because you're just being you.
Whenever my cousins bring their boyfriend or girlfriend over for a family party, the majority of them stick to my cousins like they're glued together and they don't really talk to other people in the family. But compared to the guys I bring around, they get involved, they talk to my family, and try their best to show my family how awesome they are for me.
If you really love your man and he loves you, he'll want to see how well you are with his family and he may say he doesn't care what they think but apart of him does. So show them how awesome you are, be the great person you are.

Anonymous Asked
This has been the worse night of my life. I can't stop crying.
So tonight, my dad (super opinionated) was giving me this lecture about how I don't have to be popular in school and basically somehow it turned into a big fiasco of me crying and telling him I wanted to quit soccer. he gave me this lecture about how he's not disappointed, and yet he says things like "if you want to be a quitter, fine." and "okay, then I guess you don't have what it takes to be a champion, but hey go to film school (what I want to do)"
film school=me being a loser in life to him
He thinks he's so smart and knows EVERYTHING that's best for me (he does most of the time, but other times he just doesn't understand) and there's no use in trying to be rational because he doesn't understand how he, himself is. My mom is no use because she's really shy and quiet and won't stand up for herself or even me for that matter. My friends are no use because they all just try to be positive and just flat out don't get it.
I don't know who to turn to, any advice?


Dear Anonymous
Your dad only wants what's best for you in his eyes. You may not always see eye to eye but you have to understand where each of you is coming from. He wants a daughter who doesn't quit but you don't see it as quitting, you're seeing it as something that you're just not as interested in it anymore because you found something you're passionate about.
I remember growing up my father always tell me that we're not quitters, our family doesn't quit. A lot of dads seem to be like that. They want to see their children succeed in the things they want us to do and they don't see what we actually want to do.
My biggest dream is to own a bed and breakfast. When I started going to college my mom tried to push me into going into the medical field. Which would take me far from my dream. The dreams we have, you going into film and me wanting to own a B&B, isn't exactly what most parents push their children to have because it's a challenging road to get there and whatnot.
I'm not saying your dad is right but I'm not saying he's wrong either. But you need to sit down with your parents, lecture them about your life, show them why you want to go to film school because you have to stand up for your life as you grow older. Trust me, I've had plenty of talks with my parents about my future. It takes them awhile to actually hear what you have to say but if you show them how serious you are they will come around.
Don't cry because they don't understand now; one day they will understand and they'll stop with the lectures.

No comments:

Post a Comment